Saturday, August 29, 2009

Letter to Members and Staff

August 29, 2009

To the Membership and Staff of Valencia Country Club,

Sometimes opportunities can come our way that force us to make difficult decisions. I have made the difficult decision to leave Valencia Country Club to pursue an opportunity at Lakeside Golf Club. Admittedly this decision is bittersweet.
For the past eight years, Valencia Country Club has provided many avenues for my personal as well as my professional growth. I was able to host eight Champions Tour events, renovate the practice facility and other areas of the course, and most importantly, make improvements to the daily conditioning and manicuring of this Robert Trent Jones, Sr. layout. The current issues facing Lakeside will allow me to continue to grow as a professional and to broaden my experience. After eight rewarding years at Valencia, I am ready and excited to address the challenges that Lakeside Golf Club will offer.
I feel very fortunate for the many relationships I have made at Valencia. Jim Fitzsimmons had the confidence in me to give me the autonomy to make crucial decisions involving the golf course, our membership, and my staff. Our Head Pro, Craig Cliver, has not only been a pleasure to work with, but we were also able to form a Head Pro / Superintendent team that rivals the best in the business. Much needs to be said about my maintenance staff and our assistant superintendent, Jesus Reyes. He leads a dedicated crew on a daily basis to continually improve the golf course and meet our goal to provide one of the best maintained courses in Southern California. Finally, the relationships that I have formed with the Membership will not be forgotten. All of you have supported me through every frost delay in the winter and every 100- degree day in the summer. Thank you!
As I leave Valencia, I feel the course is in a good place. The course has survived the summer months well. The greens have full turf coverage and provide very good putting surfaces on a daily basis. Our fairway Bermudagrass populations are as high as I have seen during my eight years. With our new fleet of equipment, the maintenance operation has all the tools it needs for a successful overseeding this fall.
Jim has asked for my assistance in locating quality candidates for my replacement, and also to be involved in the interview process. I will assist him in every way possible to ensure that Valencia’s next superintendent be qualified to continue the high level of golf course maintenance that is a tradition at Valencia Country Club.
Respectfully,
Robert Hertzing

7 comments:

Pat Gradoville, CGCS said...

Robert,
Great job. The blog has been fun to follow...so is this your last post?

DennisJ said...

Robert,
Sad news for VCC. But good for you. Congratulations on your new job. - Dennis Junker

Anonymous said...

Robert,

Our course is in at least as good a shape as any I've seen in southern California, if not the best. Certainly better than when I last played Lakeside this spring. Lakeside's gain is our loss.

Thanks for all the hard work and good luck.

Paul

Anonymous said...

Robert,
Thank you for all the hard work and for keeping our course at VCC in top condition. We have been fortunate to have you. Best of luck at Lakeside. You will be missed :-( - Mona Witkowski

Anonymous said...

Robert,
Thank you for all the hard work and for keeping our course at VCC in top condition. We have been fortunate to have you. Best of luck at Lakeside. You will be missed :-( - Mona Witkowski

Anonymous said...

Robert,

Best of luck with this new opportunity. As others have said, VCC's loss is Lakesides's gain. The course was always in excellent shape - you didnt realize how spoiled we are there until you played other courses. Congratulations, and thanks again...

The Kumazawa's

Anonymous said...

We're all going you miss you, Robert. Thanks for all your hard work keeping VCC in first class shape. Hope your beautiful yellow Lab likes his new home in Toluca Lake. Best always, you deserve it.
Dick Wayne.